9.16.2012

Summer Highlight- Attending a Birth

This summer, I had the amazing opportunity to witness the birth of my friend's fourth child. It was so incredible. I am all about women having whatever birth experience they desire, whether that be homebirth, hospital birth, induction, drug-free birth, epidural, or c-section (planned or not planned). I am super interested in midwifery study and one of these days maybe I will get certified as a midwife, birth assistant, or doula. I have always said that if I didn't study education in college, I would've become a nurse, solely for the purpose of becoming a labor and delivery nurse, but I am not interested in any other categories of nursing and you can't specify what part of nursing you want to study. Anyway, I cannot think of a more exciting and rewarding job! This was the first birth I had ever been to, except for  my delivery of Evie. It was awesome.

I hung out with Connor, Nate, and Phoebe for the day while mom was in labor and got to attend the birth later that night. She wanted her kids to be there for the birth and wanted me to help with them during that process. I taught Connor a few years back in first grade. Can't believe he is so old!
We baked a cake for Luke's birthday!

 We went to lunch, played the Wii, ran around at the park, and went to the library. 
 They didn't think I could hang upside down. 
 Labor stalled for a few hours in the early evening so I left and went to small group with church. Then I got a text around 9pm saying to hurry back, labor was in full swing and baby would be here soon. My heart was beating so fast the entire drive there. 

She had a home water birth with Believe Midwifery.
Here's Connor, waiting for his brother to arrive. 
 About an hour after I returned, this precious boy arrived. 
Luke Matthew
July 10, 2012 @10:54pm
8 lbs. 3 oz. 21 inches
I get chills even writing about it. It was such a privilege to be asked to be a part of such a personal, family time. Besides my own labor, I don't think my heart was ever beating so fast for so long! 

3 excited siblings after the birth! 
After Luke was born, Nate ran downstairs to record it. Hehe.
And here he is! What a beautiful boy. Watching him enter the world was certainly a highlight of my summer. 

No comments: